Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Homeschool in the Woods


If you know me, you know that I wouldn't actually do homeschool in the woods. I'm not exactly an "outdoor" girl. No, that's the title of the history series we have fallen in love with. (yes, I just used a dangling participle. We don't do much grammar in our homeschool).

This is a Christian lapbook series focused on American history, beginning with New World Explorers. We weren't exposed to it until a friend used some of the Colonial Times lapbook for pilgrim class in co-op. We did the American Revolution, were greatly saddened (or at least I was) when I realized that we hadn't taken advantage of the Early 19th Century (call me a dork, but I was confusing it with another century!), and have just finished the Civil War.

I had one of those "You know you're a homeschool mom" moments when I went online a month ago and was perfectly giddy when I saw that they had just completed the "Industrial Revolution through the Great Depression" lapbook. Perfect! Just in time!

They also have an Artists lapbook and a Composers lapbook (we learned so much from those!) and also Old and New Testament which we have not tried but are always tempting me.

I like them because they give us lots of fun projects to do and makes history come alive for the kids. The only downside is that the text is, well, textbook like, rather than a story. I prefer living books so I supplement with those.

Our new lapbook DVD arrives next week with some friends coming from the States. We can't wait! We're such homeschool geeks.

The cover of our lapbook - we took out some projects that are supposed to be in here, and put in some that are supposed to be in the notebook, so ours is a little crammed!

No comments: