Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Whales on Stilts: book review

In my endless quest for information (I'm like #5 from Short Circuit, "Need input!") I stumble across various blogs, which I add to my google reader list. Yours might be one of them, you never know. But anyway, one of them is the site of a woman who regularly reviews kid's books. One of the books she recommended was Whales on Stilts, by M.T. Anderson. So we picked it up last week at the library.

Megan quickly lost interest due to the minimal number of pictures, but Ethan and I enjoyed it. I think you probably have to have a bit of a wacky sense of humor (and I do) to appreciate the way this book is written, but even if you don't, you have to give it kudos for creativity. The plot is somewhat ridiculous, but at no point does it insist that you take it seriously. Ethan easily could have read it himself - though a good sized chapter book, the print was spaced well. But as usual he preferred that I read it. Some of the joking went past Ethan, but it wasn't inappropriate for kids.

It's a fun read aloud, and a great reader for kids who are at a 3rd grade level or so. Ethan's asking for the sequel, which is always a good sign.

No comments: