Friday, November 14, 2008

BFS Assignment #109 We Bring Good Things To Life (GE)



Assignment: Share a field trip/lifestyle learning experience where you really felt you were bringing good things to life for your children, where something came alive for them, or ignited a passion.

I'm late with my assignment this week because I've been wracking my brain trying to think of some outing we went on that ignited a passion. We've been on lots of outings. Most memorable includes paper making in Mae Sa Valley outside of Chiang Mai, Thailand, taking a kampong tour where we saw how rubber trees produce in Desaru, Malaysia, and touring a granite quarry in Vermont. And our children have many passions, among them writing, reading, Legos, building, archery, fishing, splashing in rivers, mothering (that would be one of Megan's), history, science, crafts, music, and China. But it's hard to connect any of these with a specific outing.

I guess I can see the genesis of one passion which wasn't in a homeschool specific context. Erik took Ethan with him to visit some friends one summer, where Ethan was exposed to fishing for the first time. It's something I never would have done myself because I'm not a fisherman and neither was my dad. But he was hooked, no pun intended.

He could do this all day.


Megan's not as big of a fan of fishing.


This is where we often find Megan with pen in hand, either copying something or composing her own stories.

It's fun to think though that one of these days who knows what experience will spark a life long passion in them. We'll see what happens.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi, Gina!!!

I laughed out loud when I saw the expression on Megan's face -- especially after the look of pure joy on Ethan's face!!! Too funny!!! She is definitely NOT passionate about fishing. May she's passionate about NOT fishing?! ;^)

Great post! It looks to me like your kids have lots of "passion" without you having to do much. Are they as excited as you about your coming trip???

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

BTW, I absolutely love the background. You've inspired me to fiddle with mine a bit! (like I need to spend more time in front of the 'puter!)

Sombra said...

I had to laugh when you mentioned all these exotic field trips.. and then one in VERMONT! - How did that mundane place get in there with all those southeast asian places!! lol


i don't care that it's late, I'm so glad you posted.. Just reading those foreign life experiences and place names is exciting and worth the read.

Ya, and I guess I'll have to fiddle with my blog wallpaper too, Chanukkah theme for me..

By the way, I'm thinking about getting a housekeeper - you've inspired me!

Mrs. Sombra
BFS Teacher

Gina Marie said...

Sombra,

When you live in Singapore, Vermont is the exotic, far away place!

Sheri said...

your daughter's expression is one I have seen many a time from my oldest daughter-she hates, I mean hates fish! I cannot even cook it at home or she gets ill (literally). Huh...the boys love to do it and with the little ponds around here, they get plenty of ops to do so.
Any activity that spurs their passion and imagination is great! Even the little, hard to notice ones. Good post! Blessings to you way over thar in the other side of the world..we're getting snow flakes here today and anything warm sounds great.