Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Best Advice I Ever Received

Are you ready to hear the best advice I've ever been given about homeschooling? Now, I haven't had all that much (not because I don't need it) because I don't live in an area where there are a lot of homeschool moms who could help me. But this came from a mom whose kids are now in school (one just graduated actually). She said, "Be prepared to waste money."

I can't tell you what freedom that has given me. I started homeschool using Sonlight, which seems to be the place where most Christian moms who are clueless begin. It's a good place to start, because it gives you an idea of what homeschool should/might encompass. But the problem with any curriculum is that it might not work for your kids because of learning style or temperament. Instead of plowing through it, causing hair pulling (you) and hatred of school (your kids) just buy something else. I've been through three science curriculums, two history curriculums, two math curriculums, and at least 3 or 4 language arts programs. Right now in all those subjects, I'm using something that my kids and I love.

So if you're homeschooling, don't feel guilty about leaving that book at page 3 if it doesn't work for you. In the long run you won't remember the money, but your kids will learn, and that's what's important.

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

That is good advice!

~Luke