Thursday, January 8, 2009

An abundance of patience

When I tell people I homeschool, one of the most frequent comments I get in response is something like, "Oh wow - I could never homeschool. I'm just not that patient." I don't usually respond to this. If I do, I mutter something about God helping me. They are unconvinced.

But what makes me laugh about this comment is that it implies that I AM patient. Like I sat around thinking, "I am SO patient. In fact, I think I might have too much patience. Where can I find an outlet for this excess of tolerance? Ah yes, I will homeschool."

I know that really, people aren't thinking through this comment at all. They just want to distance themselves from the idea of it with what seems like a plausible excuse.

This has come to mind again this week because we picked up homeschooling again after a long than expected break (there was just too much travel in December!) and I am finding once again that my reserve of patience is nowhere near what I need for this task.

So should only the patient homeschool? Or should those who homeschool (or parent, or nurse, or drive, or cook, or live in any way) find what is needed in Christ?

"The Lord will guide you always. He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a stream whose rivers never fail." Isaiahd 58:11

3 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

Excellent post. We all somehow find what we need to do our various tasks--homeschooling is just one that provides incredible blessings to go with the struggles. [smile]

~Luke

brandy lindsey said...

Thank you so much for this post. It has helped me to see how much more patient I need with our homeschool journeys. Also to let God guide the way instead of me.

Amy :) said...

I've had people give the same comment to me, over and over again. Oh, if only they knew how impatient I am in my own strength!

I think you're right... that people just want to distance themselves from the idea that maybe they, too, could homeschool their kids.

I always enjoy your posts!
Amy :)