Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Blogger Friend School Assignment #107 - Have It Your Way



Memory Verse: Isaiah 40: 1- Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.

Intro: “Have It Your Way” (Burger King) - As cooler weather approaches and the winter eases into our doors I like to lounge by the fire after a hot shower. I love to make soups that are brimming with a rich and full flavor. In our home there’s nothing better than a hot bowl of soup or and a hot cup of coffee or cocoa on a cold winter night.

Assignment: Tell us all about how your have “your” relaxing time, more especially how during the cooler months you take time to curl up with your favorite movie, book, Bible study, and what your favorite warm drink would be.

My passport is ready for pick up. After 10 years my old one was filled with nearly 100 entry and exit stamps and visas, and two sets of additional pages because the old ones were filled. I'm incredibly thankful for all the opportunities we have had to travel, and to live in two fascinating countries outside our home culture.

Yet of all the places I've traveled, if I truly want to relax the best place anywhere is at my parent's house back in Rochester, MN. True, if I want to relax after a tough day a hot bath and a good book are a great thing, as is a cup of Russian Tea (I'll post the recipe below). But there's something about my parent's house that makes every care seem far away. Maybe it's because my parents are easy going people who open their home to others. Maybe it's because there are lots of cozy spots throughout the house, and always a book within reach (my parents gave me my love for books!). Maybe it's because their attention to my kids means I can relax knowing they're in good hands. All I know is that I feel the most comfortable there.

Alas, their house is 6,000 miles from mine. To my joy, in only about a month I will be relaxing there again while winter swirls around outside. We'll have fires in the fireplace and I'll play carols on the piano. We'll go outside and get chilly, and come back inside for hot cocoa. It'll be glorious.

But one thing all my travel has taught me is that even though I can experience great comfort here, it is not my home. C.S. Lewis said, "Our Father will refresh us with many pleasant inns on the journey, but he would not encourage us to mistake them for home." In heaven I will find my truest and deepest rest and comfort. So I guess I'm thankful that I retain this feeling of unrootedness that I've developed from living overseas.

Russian Tea

  • 1/2 cup instant tea powder
  • 2 cups orange-flavored drink mix (e.g. Tang)
  • 3 ounces lemonade-flavor drink powder
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix all ingredients together. Add 2-3T of the mix for each cup of hot water. I don't care much for tea, but I could drink this forever!

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Rochester, MN is a very lovely town. I am a Minnesotan by birth but a transplant to MI. I don't have a passport, but have traveled a lot in the US, and agree-nothing like going home. Lovely post and that tea sounds pretty good-will try it soon! thanks for posting it.

tammy said...

I am so happy to hear you will get to visit your parents in 1 month!! Sounds like such a warm, inviting place. Enjoy your visit!

JustKaren said...

Beautiful comments!!! I love my parents' home too. It's small, so I don't have much quiet time, but it certainly is cozy and familiar. I look forward to settling in a town I love and making a home much like your parents' home - one my children and grand children will love to visit and one that everyone feels welcome and at home. Have a wonderful day!

Amy :) said...

Gina,

I love how you described your parents and their home and how you love spending time there. I pray that my children will feel that way about our home when they're grown!

I also *really* love the quote by C. S. Lewis. What a great reminder to me that whatever home we live in is not *really* my home.

Nonna said...

I'm so glad you feel relaxed and comfortable in your home away from home. We love to have you visit and stay with us for as long as possible.

Rebecca said...

Great post, Gina!

My mom used to make that Russian tea mix at Christmas time to give to people. Yummy.

Your excitement is contagious! I'm getting excited about your trip for you! ;^) Not long now!!!

Your post reminds me of an old hymn: This world is not my home. I'm just a-passin' through. If heaven's not my home, then Lord, what will I do? The angels beckon me through heaven's open doors, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

Hope you're able to find a little slice of relaxation in your week!!!