Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Blogger Friend School Assignment #103

Assignment: How do you keep energized so you can get it all done? bouncy music? treat it like a workout? Do you use a schedule?, a housekeeping binder system? luck of the draw system?.. or is this an area where you need encouragement? Do you need God’s help to keep order and beauty in your dwelling place? Take this week to tell us how You diligently keep going with your housekeeping chores.

I thought it might come to this at some point, so here goes - my simple solution for keeping myself organized, on top of household chores and meals and everything else that goes into care for my home is this: I have a full time, live in maid.

Now before you hate me, let me explain. I live in Singapore. I've lived in Asia for nine years, and culturally it's commonplace. I had a part time maid for 4 years when we lived in China because it was so cheap it seemed criminal NOT to have one. Here, I held out for four years before my husband's heavy travel schedule and my severe allergy to dust mites (which are almost impossible to control in this humidity) drove us to hire a wonderful Filipino woman who manages my home with songs and prayers on her lips all day.

I am by nature quite energetic and organized, but even so my best system before can't compare to having someone take care of it all for me. I do have to say that having her has made me even more organized - I have to sit down once a week and plan out what we will eat for every meal (before I just did dinners) and I'm now able to finally tackle those around the house clutter projects (like reorganizing my recipes according to what we actually eat!)

Before we had our maid, we tried several different systems, usually settling back on doing a 4 day school week with one day for cleaning. I'd make a list of everything that needed to be done and the kids (who are box checkers) checked them off as we went. I do miss my kids participating in housekeeping (they don't). I need to think creatively about what chores they should still do. When my kids fought before, their consequence was always to do a job together. That doesn't work as well now - I find I have to invent chores for them. But this is hardly something to complain about!

Can we still be blogger school friends now that my secret's out?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding?! Hate you? Girl you are blessed!!!!!! If I could do that, I think I would as well! That way I could focus on other things at this point. I don't see you any less then blessed. GOOD FOR YOU! ((Hugs))
www.homeschoolblogger.com/christin

tammy said...

Hmmm....I guess we can still be bloggerfriends! Seriously, that is just such a blessing and I am happy that it is working for you. It must be a great relief to be able to work on projects that need tending to and spending more time with your little ones without having to worry about the daily chores. :)

Sombra said...

YES! You can still be part of BFS - and MORE POWER TO YOU. I have a good friend who's a homeschooler and her mom comes in daily to assist her with this or that. She just walks into the house and starts with something.. you hardly know Penny is there. I would LOVE to have a mom who would love to assist me. When I mentioned this to Penny, she said Cheri and the kids are my life! What a blessing!

And so - I do think a maid counts!

Thanks for posting your BFS Assignment

Blessings
Mrs. Sombra
BFS Teacher

Rebecca said...

Gina --
Can we be friends??? Of course! You lucky dog!!! ;^)

We prayed about hiring a maid when we first moved here, simply to help with language acquisition, but the Lord said, "No." I was bummed. BUT we see the wisdom in it now. Someday maybe!

Don't feel guilty! Just enjoy the season!

Lisa said...

Glad someone can enjoy a maid. I'm jealous.
Lisa
www.houseofmanyblessings.blogspot

Michelle said...

Hi there. It's Great to `meet` you.
When I was very young I had a Nanny. I Loved her. She took care of the house & me.
BTW, my DH brother lives in Singapore. He left the states years ago. Unfortunately, we haven't seen him in years, either. But, he does e-mail. I wonder if he has a maid. hmmm
Blessings,
Michelle
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/journeyhome

Sheri said...

Oh that is funny. Don't hate ya. I understand b/cuz my sil and bil spent 10 years in China and that is what they do. Nice. Sweet and definitely something I wish was the practice here in the states. Good post, thanks for sharing!

Jenni said...

Well I can't say I am not jealous, but you go girl. If I could I would also. I know it would free up some time for me to just be with my girls while they are young.

Jenni

Pajama Mama said...

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you have a live in maid. She sounds like a beautiful person and a delight to have around.

Now...if I can just get your brother's haiku out of my head...heehee.

Many blessings....

Anonymous said...

What a blessing. I have a lot of homeschooling friends who hire someone to come in on a routine basis to do their deep cleaning. Not only does it take a little weight off thier shoulders, but it also provides income for another family.

Kela said...

That's wonderfully cool! My husband always tells me, jokingly, that he loves me too much to make me clean.

Having full-time help is one of my goals. With six children, we could use some help.

~THE BROOKWOOD BEAVERS ~ said...

Hi
Wow! That is soo cool! Thank you for sharing what it is like to live in another culture. I think that is so neat that she has songs and prayers the whole time, too. That in itself is a wonderful example to your children. (and to me). Thanks for sharing and YES we can still be friends. LOL
Blessings,
Vania
aka: JADs Mama
www.homeschoolblogger.com/brookwoodbeavers

Rachel said...

During my high school my mom cleaned a few houses. The problem for me is that those houses were already clean when my mom showed up. They just needed bathroom, kitchens, vacuuming, etc. I have to learn to control the clutter. :(

But lucky you. Don't feel guilty about it. Enjoy it and use the spare time it gives you!

angela said...

Can I borrow your maid???

Sounds good to me!

Unknown said...

I live overseas too and understand having a maid. I did have one for several years but found myself not doing well with the arrangement. However I know that many women don't have the trouble I seem to have with it and am so happy for you ladies who get to have one! I'm glad it helps you and remember that the Prov. 31 woman had housegirls too.
I was glad you were featured this week so I could find your blog! Hi from the other side of the world.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

That's awesome! I think it's wonderful that you have that opportunity!

Lori said...

I think it is awesome that you have a maid. It is so widely accepted in other cultures. I don't know why here in the US we think we must be all and do all. We could all use a little help! LOL.
Lori

babymakers said...

Forget it... never reading your blog again.... just kidding. This is where I have to apply that commandment about not coveting anything that is they neighbors... maidservant is listed by name in that verse!

Kim said...

Wow! How lucky are you! You area very blessed lady indeed! Good for you!

~ Blessings!

~Kim
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/momofneb/

Nikki said...

What a blessing you have! Enjoy it :) ~ Blessings! ~ Nikki

Jennifer Sikora said...

I so envy you having a maid! Why in the world would I hate you for having a maid? Plus, you get daily adult conversation! How cool is that!